As soon as you register your website name, you need to connect a domain to a hosting server. I recommend you to use a separate registrar and web host and let me explain why I think so.
3 Main Reasons Why it is Better to Keep Web Hosting and Domain Registrar Separated
1. No leverage against you.
Imagine that you have your domain and web host handled by the same company and you decided to cancel your hosting only. You may find that your domain became much more expensive or even was canceled.
2. Additional security
What happens if the hosting website gets hacked or stolen? You will lose all. By keeping a domain and hosting separate, you will have extra time to deal with a problem.
3. Easy to change web hosting provider
If you aren’t satisfied with supports or the current plan, you can fast switch your host without impacting your domain. Just redirect the DNS settings and move the files.
Please note that if you are confused about all these settings, it’s not necessary to keep web hosting and domain name separate. I recommend you to register a domain name and store your website in the same company, for example, Namecheap.com. Below you can find a short video that let you set up your website in under a minute.
If you have problems with registration, here is one more video that will help you to register a domain name on NameCheap.com.
How to Connect a Domain to a Hosting
Setting up a domain name is easier than you may think. You need to do two things:
- Order the website through the domain registrar.
- Change the setting (DNS) inside your domain.
Simply speaking, at first you need to get the email with DNS numbers from your host. Then all you need is to insert these numbers into the registrar.
Let us take a look at a specific example. Imagine that you choose a Namecheap to buy a domain and Name.com is your web host.
- Sign in to your account
2. Choose Domain List from the sidebar and click the Manage button.
3. Find the Nameservers section, pick Custom DNS.
4. Enter your hosting nameservers (you should get it from your host) one by one in each line and click the green checkmark to save changes.
Congratulations! Now your registrar and web host are linked. What to do next:
- Go to your host and click on Addon Domains. Enter your domain name. The Subdomain field and the Document Root will automatically fill in. We don’t need FTP account, so skip the checkbox.
Here is a short video of how to add a domain to your Name.com hosting.
Sometimes it can take some time for the web host and domain registrar to see each other, so don’t worry.
An SSL Certificate
The next step is getting an SSL certificate. It creates a secure link between a website and a user’s browser. This certificate is important for protecting your website, even it doesn’t get in touch with some sensitive information like credit cards.
Let’s find out how to set up an SSL certificate hosted with Name.com
- Select SSL Certificates under the Hosting & SSL menu.
- Choose the most suitable plan and add it to your cart. Follow prompts to complete the purchase.
- As soon as you order is complete, you will see a message like this. Click Setup Products.
- Click Setup now!
5. Type your domain name in the domain section. Don’t forget to type “www” in the section before. Click Next Step.
6. You will be given DNS records that you need to add to your domain and validate it.
The system will automatically install the SSL certificate. After that, you will be able to put https before a domain name and the website will work correctly.
In the next lesson, we are going to install WordPress.